Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 13, 2018

Pea Soup and Hail

 
I haven't been doing a very good job of taking interesting pictures this week for the blog.

One thing I finished today was making split pea soup. It came out really good. Much to my surprise, I've never shared a picture of split pea soup here before, although it's one of my favorites, so at least this is a "new" (to the blog) idea.

split pea soup

What I wanted to share with you was a book club I met with. They had all read North Country Cache, and we talked about it, and writing and publishing stuff. It was a lot of fun, but I forgot to take even one picture.

The big local news is the weather. Today we've had wind, rain, hail, lightning and thunder. Tomorrow is supposed to be serious ice. But the most interesting thing I didn't see, so of course, didn't get any pictures.

At several places along the shoreline today there was a seiche. This is an event caused by wind or disturbance (could be seismic, but this wasn't) that results in a rapid change in water levels. The water must be partly enclosed, like in a harbor, bay, river mouth, etc so that a standing wave can form. There are pictures of the breakwall in Ludington completely submerged. There was damage in Manistee along the river, and the water level change was observed in Pentwater. I guess the change was as much as 20 feet in a few places. Pretty amazing.

When it happened, I was eating lunch with the book club, and we watched the sky turn black and then the hail begin. We had no idea the water was creeping up the street just a couple of blocks away!

Now it's thundering and lightning. Hope it's not glare ice when I have to come home from work. Next to last Friday night, coming up!


See Turkey Soup Fog
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

Strange weather can be very interesting, unless it's dangerous and you're right in the middle of it. I've never seen anything quite like you describe with the water level. As I type this, We're having the beginning of the last big blizzard of the year around here. I hope it's the last. The wind is blowing and gusting hard, threatening to cut my power out. It's interesting too, but I hope the power stays on.

Ann said...

I've never had split pea soup. Of course, I'm not a fan of peas so I've never wanted to try it.
Weather can be strange and sometimes so damaging. A difference of 20 feet of water is some change.

Secondary Roads said...

I love pea soup. Mom used to cook it up with a large ham bone in the pot. That bone imparted a special flavor to the soup, and the chunks of ham completed this delightful treat. I'd eat it with buttered saltines back then. I wouldn't butter them today.

Alice said...

Love pea soup and make it in the crockpot all the time...so easy!!