Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Bigbract Verbena

 
This is both frustrating and very cool.

Remember, the other day I said I was trying to identify a mystery plant? I got it with the help of Carol Winder and friends, who are all on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

I asked her if she knew it, because she's a good botanist. But it turned out to be one of those stories of going all the way around the fence post to get to the barn. She got a friend of hers involved, who identified it as Verbena bracteata. The odd thing is that it's native to the US, not to Britain.

The frustrating part is that this is apparently a common plant. But I sure don't recall ever seeing it before this year. The USDA database shows it in every single state.

Here's what it looks like, creeping out along edges of driveways, sidewalks, etc. It's also called Creeping Vervain (or Verbena), Carpet Vervain (or Verbena), Bigbract Verbena, and Prostrate Verbena.

bigbract verbena

Those funky stalks are covered with hairy bracts. Those aren't the leaves. The leaves are lobed and are down near the roots.

bigbract verbena

There's a ring of little purple flowers around the end of each stalk.

bigbract verbena

It's sort of coarse looking, but very interesting. Since it's native, I think it would be interesting to use in a rock garden. However it's not a perennial, so you'd always have to be making sure some seeded in the same places.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it around here. I like the look of it though