Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, March 14, 2014

I Have Maps!

 
Of course, you know I'm already thinking about the hike this spring.

Marie and I will finish the Finger Lakes Trail in the Catskill Mountains of NY. But we've also decided to do the North Country Trail extension into Vermont that will connect with the Appalachian Trail. FLT about 45 miles, VT about 64 miles. So our total will be around 110 miles. I got my first set of maps today and now have a gazillion questions. Here's a rough overview of Vermont to get to the Long Trail, Which connects with the AT.

NCT connection with AT

It will be a combination of trails and road walk. There are 10 miles we'll use in the TAM, the Trail Around Middlebury.

NCT connection with AT

Then we have to do another 13 miles of roadwalk to get to the Long Trail, and then about 26 miles on that to reach the Appalachian Trail.
I've marked it out on Google in blue- some is a line and the Long Trail is dots. But you'll get the idea. Don't pay any attention to how long Google thinks you should take to hike those final 26 miles. I read a couple of journals, and they are pretty tough miles. I'm thinking 2.5 days on that section.

NCT connection with AT

But, I'm excited! I've ordered the official Long Trail Map. That will give me real answers. No clue yet where we'll be sleeping when not on the Long Trail. The rest might be day hikes. I've started the itinerary. All the pieces of the puzzle have to be collected before they can be put together. It's like a scavenger hunt.

See I'm Thinking About May for the FLT section
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

excited for you and Marie...sounds like a great trip :)

The Furry Gnome said...

Planning summer adventures is always such fun.

Unknown said...

Can't imagine walking that far at the moment. Getting round the Upton Country Park circuit today with Jade felt like a killer. But I know you will enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun !

Ann said...

so google says 9 hours, you say 2.5 days. I think I would probably take about a week to do it...lol

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay i bet that wil be a grayt hike!!! yoo wil not be passing far frum mama and dada and trixies old stomping grownds in the mithikal land of noo york and i heer mama and dada wunse had a gud time vaykayshuning in the mithikal land of vermont they say it wuz byootiful!!! ok bye