Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, September 9, 2013

Sylvia's Bread Recipe, Try #2

 
Try #2 in more ways than one. First of all, it's try #2 in not losing the recipe. Sylvia previously sent me home with a nice handwritten card of her no-knead bread recipe. I promptly lost it. It will probably turn up when I'm 80. So last time I was there (a few weeks ago), I came home with another card.

Sylvia says, with the optimism of someone who has the magic touch with yeast bread, "It's pretty much fool proof."

Then there's me. I can bake almost anything, including rolls, but loaves of yeast bread just don't like something I do to them. The first time I tried this recipe, I didn't even show you the results. They tasted OK, I ate the last slices today for lunch. But they were pretty flat.

Today, I had a second batch of dough started. Loretta called and invited us to dinner. Yikes! Could I leave the bread in the refrigerator for one of the risings? I called Sylvia, but she was also out. I tried it and crossed my fingers. Then I also had a meeting tonight, so the second rising took place almost entirely at 45 degrees, or whatever the fridge is.

How did it turn out? It has the official stamp of approval from Om.

homemade bread

What do you think?

homemade bread

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


6 comments:

Loritenor said...

Looks pretty yummy to me!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It looks fantastic ~ I can almost smell it and taste it! Aren't no-knead breads cool? I love them, but I also love the sensuous feel of kneading dough, too. Good thing I like to mix things up on my life!

Enjoy your bread!

Secondary Roads said...

Looks like you got it perfect. Congrats Sharky! Sylvia talked to your voice mail. Sorry that our schedules didn't mesh.

Ann said...

It looks pretty good to me. Bread from scratch is one thing I have never tried.

Lin said...

That looks wonderful! I'm gonna have to call Sylvia for the recipe.

RNSANE said...

The bread looks so beautiful. Guess it didn't suffer from rising in the refrigerator. Lovely color and I'll bet it smelled wonderful.