Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Caught the Red-Head

 
Almost every time I go to Idlewild, Michigan I see a red-headed woodpecker, Melanerpes erythrocephalus. They aren't rare, but I never seem to see them really close to where I live.

This is my third try at getting a decent picture, and it's the best one yet, although still not really good. The distance is always so far that I have to use the digital zoom as well as the optical one, which makes for fuzzy pictures.

red-headed woodpecker

I love the bold blocks of color on these birds. I'm probably also partial to them because they were common on our farm when I was a child.

See Red and White and Out of Focus
See Colored Heads and Striped Legs
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


9 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Love woodpeckers, they are so shy here we hear them but rarely see them.

vanilla said...

Still a nice capture! We see red bellied and downies, but it has been ages since we saw a red headed.

rainfield61 said...

Love woodpeckers, they are the doctors of trees.

Ann said...

oh he's a pretty one.

Lin said...

Such pretty colors. Isn't it amazing how Mother Nature dresses some creatures?

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- We have lots of kinds- I usually have Flickers, downys and hairys at my house.

vanilla- lots of red-bellied around, but I don't see them at my house

rainfield- they sure do a lot of surgery

Ann- isn't he?

Lin- he's so stunning and easy to spot.

Secondary Roads said...

I have seen one of these, but only once here at our current home.

RNSANE said...

He is such a beautiful bird. I guess I really like it because I'm a bit tired of the cawing crows that flutter about my windows here in Bandra and the fierce looking kites. I like a bit of color.

Unknown said...

wait til you see a pileated wood pecker...... about the size of a big crow. I have several videos I have taken.... they are plentiful around lake and Newaygo counties.