Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 12, 2011

North Country Trail Conference- Day 2


The morning was spent in seminars and workshops, one of which I led. Then we got to go outside and play. We chose to join a bike ride today which went from Eastwood Metropark to Wegerzyn Gardens and back, about 13 miles total.

Island Metropark Dayton bike path

Five Rivers Metroparks through Dayton has extensive multi-use trails, and the North Country Trail makes use of some of them. Most of what we rode today isn't, but this suspension bridge across the Stillwater River is part of the NCT.

child playing in waterfall

Wegerzyn Garden was wonderful. I should do a whole post on that, although I took almost no pictures of plants... we only had a short time. The thing that apparently struck me most was a children's garden where plants and a naturalistic water feature are incorporated into a place for children to play on hot summer days. There was an entire "stream" for kids to splash in which included this waterfall for them to run through. This little guy was just squealing with delight every time the water hit his head.


Dayton fountains

On the ride back we stopped at a park/pavilion called Riverscape to buy ice cream. These fountains shoot water high in the air for a few minutes every hour. The base of each spray (which you can't really see in this picture since they are just below the bridge deck) is set at the level of the 1913 flood of the Great Miami River which devastated Dayton, permanently closed the Miami-Erie Canal and instigated the building of the earthen levee system to protect the city. The jets of water are impressive, and a great reminder of the history.

Buses took us back to Wegerzyn Gardens for dinner and an award ceremony.

Joan Young and Andrew Skurka

There are so many things going on at these conferences that it is hard for me to pick just a few things to show you. However, this was a highlight for me. I am posing here with Andrew Skurka whom I had actually never yet met. We just hadn't managed to be in the same space at the same time. He was NCT end-to-ender number seven, and has become a full-time adventurer... way beyond my goals.

OK... I'm really tired- have to go to bed.

See North Country Trail Conference- Day 1

10 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Yeah, another adventurer, a real adventurer.

I am not.

Haha...

-yogi143- said...

hello? how are you today?

just visiting your blog today (^_^) I hope you can visit mine too . . .

anyway, can we exchange links? just update me if you want and I will add you then (^_^)

http://www.bobbyjohnsabasaje.com/

vanilla said...

You are living the life! Good for you.

betchai said...

oh, that is a beautiful picture of you and Andrew, happy trails and happy weekend.

Grandma's Goulash said...

I'm following your trip and wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying your daily posts.

Casey said...

I've been out for awhile and it has been great catching up on your posts. I'm gonna have to check out that full-time adventurer gig!

spinninglovelydays said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spinninglovelydays said...

That children's garden looks really lovely and fun.

Ann said...

Wegerzyn Garden sounds like a great place. That little one does look like he's having fun

RNSANE said...

What a fun day. I just love the photo of the little one frolicking in the "waterfall" - looks like the ideal way to spend a summer day!

It must be great to be hanging out with so many others who love hiking and biking and all that good stuff!