Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Tank Creek Headwaters

 

wetland pond

I found another unofficial trail that leads to the Tank Creek headwaters. This time it led me into another section of the wetlands. I have yet to figure out how to connect the two sections.

wetland pond

Look how well Mr. Mallard blends in with the surroundings.

wetland pond

This was the very best part. That little hill is actually an island! I thought at first that it was a peninsula. Then I hit the marshy channel and thought that I wasn't going to be able to get on it. But I found a fallen log that allowed me to reach it. Of course I wasn't the only person who had been there. Some angler had left a worm container, sigh. But it felt like my very own special place. I walked all around the hill, and that's when I saw the duck. Hope I can get back there to explore some more this summer.




See Still Too Early for Flowers

4 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I love places like this, as you say it feels like your own special place.

Ann said...

What a wonderful discovery you made. Even if you weren't the first to find it it's still new and unexplored to you.

Secondary Roads said...

Beautiful and special. Sure beats a shopping trip to the mall, doesn't it?

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like isolated places like that. It's when I feel like I can call a place my own that I have the best time.